Sunday, March 11, 2012

Banana and Berry Muffins

Our family is absolutely loving the fact that bananas are back to an affordable price, as the kids eat them like they are going out of fashion, and they are always a nice addition to baking.

With Stella at Kindy 3 days a week, and the school having a "Healthy lunchbox" attitude, I have been conscious of making healthier treats for the kids and husband to eat. ( I am on a weightloss mission so they aren't really for me, but if I do sneak one, at least I know they aren't all bad!).
Last week I baked up a storm, and made 3 batches, of different variations of these muffins, using a recipe from Jade at the Super Organiser Mum blog, but with my own twist.

Banana and Berry Muffins

3/4 cup Wholemeal SR Flour
3/4 cup SR Flour
1/3 cup Caster Sugar
60g Butter
2/3 cup Mashed Banana (approx 1 large banana)
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup of Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)

In a large bowl rub together flour, sugar and butter until it resembles fine bread crumbs (I simply put it in a bowl and stir it with a wooden spoon until its well combined , I am not one for steps in a recipe! haha)
Stir in rest of ingredietns to combine.
Spoon mixture into muffins pans and bake at 190 degrees for 20 mins


Now the variations on the recipe that I used were;
A tube of the berry pulp (pictured below) , and added 1/2 cup of LSA (Linseed, Sunflower and Almond mix ground up and purchased from a Health food store) for these ones.


Fresh Blueberries, and a packet of the Rafferty's Apple, Pear and Cinnamon mix and the banana for these.

And for these, I had a tin of mixed berries that I had used a few days earlier for a loaf and had left overs, I simply mixed those in with the bananas, and again, 1/2 a cup of LSA mix.


These ingredients, may not be fresh but they are still a lot healthier than choc chips or icing! And when baking, especially numerous batches, I like to keep things pretty simple.

They were all a BIG hit amongst the kids. They absolutely loved them, nd infact, Master Max had quiet a few tantrums over wanting more cakes!
Gotta love that!! hmmmm

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the awesome ideas Liz! Would never have thought to put a Rafferty's into muffins or to use the power pulps either!! That is a must remember tip!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to read and more importantly comment on my blog. They are all so appreciated! Liz x