Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Honey Health Cake

Yesterday was a home day for us. You the type, kids happily playing screaming and shouting and fighting, so on these days I like to bake some snacks for our family, plus I was expecting a rare visit from my Nanny and Aunt. ( it was so lovely to have them visiting and chatting) So I wanted to bake something yummy for afternoon tea. I made the easy and yummy Simplicity Cake and then while I was putting some things away, I noticed a very yummy sounding recipe on the back of the White Wings Wholemeal SR Flour Packet. Upon closer inspection, I knew I didn't have over half the ingredients but thought I could make up my own sort of cake.
So I did.
And its yummy.
Like really yummy.
So yummy that I had to take this dodgy night time photo quickly , in case it is all gone by tomorrow!!
However if you don't like nuts or fruit in your cake, you enjoy the sweeter things in life, then it may not be the cake for you!

HONEY HEALTH CAKE


INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 cups Wholemeal SR Flour
1 cup Honey
1 cup Water
1/4 cup brown sugar
30 g butter
250g mixed fruit ( mine didn't have Glace cherries)
1/4 cup slithered almonds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 cup LSA mix
1 Tbsp White Chia seeds

METHOD
Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease and line a 19cm square cake tin.
Combine Honey, water, butter and brown sugar in a saucepan and stir constantly until dissolved and mixed. Do not bring it to the boil.
Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
Sift flour into a mixing bowl.
Add nuts, LSA mix, Chia seeds , spices and Mixed fruit and stir.
When saucepan contents are cool, at to the dry mix and fold together.
Pour into prepared Cake tin and bake for 50 mins for until cooked through .
Cool in tin and either serve on its own or with lemon/orange icing ( I used the juice of a mandarine in our icing).

This cake is a bit of a cross with a slice. It has some gorgeous flavours and would be so easy to mix up and create new versions.
For instance, swapping the nutmeg for mixed spice, or the cinnamon for ginger.
The peanuts and almonds for walnuts and pecans.
The Mixed fruit for dates and the White chia seeds for sesame.
As long as the dry ingredients are the same ratio , it should be ok.

Now all that is left to do , is boil the kettle, make a cuppa and enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Liz,

    Thanks for sharing this recipe, it looks yummy and healthy too!!

    Is the icing a cream cheese one? Looks nice and thick.

    Have a great day x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave this one a go the other day and it was yum. I did reduce the amount of honey in it to reduce the sugar amounts and added seeds and it still worked out fine and the boys all loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to read and more importantly comment on my blog. They are all so appreciated! Liz x