Friday, March 7, 2014

Organising On A Budget - The Tupperware Cupboard


For this weeks project for my 'Organising on a Budget' series, I decided to tackle a very well used, but always messy area of our kitchen. The beloved Tupperware cupboard. 

Now these things are always a haven for kids to play in, and I don't think anyone could say that their plastics cupboard is always 100% tidy and organised. 

Our kitchen is very small, with limited bench and cupboard space and I am not 100% happy with the location of everything but really don't know where else the things would work more efficiently , so until I do it is all staying put! 

BEFORE; 


To begin, I pulled EVERYTHING out of the cupboards. I sorted the items into piles of similar containers and found matching lids for every piece . Anything I haven't used in a while got chucked (yes I know its expensive stuff but if you don't use it , what is the point in having it?!) and anything that didn't have a lid or was damaged or a bit grubby/worn got chucked too. Not actually chucked but I donated the bag of goodies to a friend that moved here with nothing and is starting fresh. She appreciated the extra lunch box items etc.



The cupboards got a good clean, and of course a little washi tape action on the trim again. I am addicted and love seeing a little bit of colour and cheer in our old Kitchen. 

When putting the containers back in the cupboard, I know that everyone has their own system and preference.
 Me? I would prefer the tall items or the ones that I have more of (like the sandwhich keepers for example) at the back and the smaller piles at the front. They are all visable as I have to bend to look inside the cupboard but it makes the small items more accessible. 

AFTER 


I love how it doesn't look as cluttered. How all the containers we weren't using got chucked and how I have found things that I forgot we had!! 
This cupboard is actually on the end and then flows into a corner, so the larger dip platters etc are hiding in there. 


After seeing THIS post on The Organised Housewife, I loved how the little wire drawer was used for lids, and I actually had bought a set for my Bathroom Cupboard makeover and didn't use them (as all the little bits and bobs kept falling through them) so this was a great place for the drawers to be used. 
These drawers are from Kmart and are just a few dollars. 

All the small lids are in the drawers and all of the big lids are either down the side of the drawers or underneath the items themselves. 




And because one cupboard always flows into another , I culled and cleaned our crockery cupboard too!! Sorted the dinner sets, chucked some old plastic plates and bowls and put the items we use the most when preparing food down the bottom , within arms reach ie: grater , measuring jugs 


I feel heaps better about the cupboards now. The items we do have, get used often and because they are neat and tidy, its easy to see where things are supposed to go - for those hubby's that are so lovely to help out but like to dump things in the first spot they see!! Bless their hearts 

Go on, try it. Chuck and clean your plastics cupboard and see how good it feels. Make yourself a glass of vino and snack and enjoy it even more x

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz, when I am clearing out my old plastic containers any that are missing lids instead of throwing them out, I use them inside other drawers to help contain small items and therefore helping me keep things organised.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to read and more importantly comment on my blog. They are all so appreciated! Liz x